Monday, April 21, 2008

My Favorite Viking

After reading about all these great Viking men and women, it was very difficult for me to pick out my favorite Viking. However, in the end I went with the Viking whom I think "has the makings of a true Viking." Yes, I chose Egil.
His character seemed to embody all that it is to be a Viking, both the stereotypical characteristics and those which we have discovered throughout our journey through the Sagas. At the young age of 3 he rode a horse and wrote a poem. Then later at the old age of 7 he killed another boy; murder, your typical Viking action. He is a very short-tempered and easily angered man. He was also very cunning nad went on many vkining raids. These are all examples of the stereotypical Viking qualities of which Egil possessed. Egil, however, was very multi-faceted. He could write poetry, very good poetry in fact. This was a characteristic of Vikings that was new to me as we read through the sagas. I found it very interesting that a man so easily angered and seemingly full of hate, had time to write this beautiful, deep poetry. His character also surprised me when he fell in love with Asgerd, yet was too nervous to talk to her. He even wrote her a love poem.
Overall, I really enjoyed the character of Egil for his multi-faceted personality which always kept me guessing. I could never tell exactly what he might do next.

No comments: