Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Norse Mythology

Norse mythology seemed very confusing to me. I have never studied Roman or Greek mythology before, so this whole idea of multiple gods was difficult to keep straight. A few things I found interesting were the fact that our days of the week are derived from the nordic gods. I had heard that it was derived from pagan gods, but i never knew it was from the "Vikings!"
Another thing i found interesting was the fact that the Midgard serpent surrounded the earth and was underwater, and that Hel was deep under the surface. This i thought could have been derived from Christianity where the devil is often referred to as a serpent, and Hell is thought to be in the depths of the earth.
I also found throughout the book some references to giants, such as Gjalp and Gerd. The thought of giants in their mythology as well as the many references to elves and dwarves also reminded me of Lord of the Rings. The names of many of the poeple/gods/creatures in the book were very similar to those used in the stories. I can definately see a parallel between norse mythology and Tolkien's made up world.

1 comment:

saga of the cursed earth said...

Hello, enjoyed your site. I also am a fan of the Icelandic Sagas. I was recently compelled to start a blog in an attempt to start picking out some of the more memorable parts of some sagas that might also be skipped over by people. If you want to check out my site and let me know what you think of it so far it's at http://cursedearthsaga.blogspot.com